How to Read English
"I provide online tutoring for people who want to develop their English language skills." So says Marilyn Martyn, a retired teacher who realised that people were missing out on life because they were unable to fully understand and comprehend the written word.
After a career of over 35 years, Marilyn decided to specialise as a literacy teacher because she was concerned about the number of children who struggled with reading. Marilyn noticed that many struggling readers lacked systematic training in phonemic (sound) awareness and the English Alphabetic Writing System. With the advances in technology, Marilyn saw she could provide tutoring online and could use her knowledge to benefit many students who need extra support. Students could work at their own pace in the comfort of their home. Reading Teacher Online was born.
In Marilyn's ground-breaking program, you will:
- Listen to and recognise the individual speech sounds that are blended together to form words.
- You will experience how you make speech sounds.
- You will understand how vowel sounds and consonant sounds differ and their role in words and syllables.
- You will master the English Alphabetic Writing System.
- You will learn the phonograms that represent the forty four speech sounds used to form English words.
- You will build reading pathways in your brain that form the basis for fluent reading and will learn to decode unknown words automatically.
- You will start a sight word bank in your brain that will grow over your lifetime.
- You will improve your handwriting while you practice the best method for forming letters.
- You will learn spelling rules and how to learn to spell new words.
- Improve your comprehension skills.
Each lesson in Marilyn's program consists of a zip file containing worksheets, videos and/audios that demonstrate the principles involved and can be worked through at your own pace. In all, 25 lessons build on each other to lay the foundations for an increased level of comprehension with the written word. Reawaken the joy of reading, either for your own pleasure, or to increase your knowledge and ability at work.
During her career, Marilyn was fortunate to have had experience as a Reading Recovery teacher and as a private tutor in English and mathematics. She also completed The Spalding Method of Phonics for Teaching Speech, Writing and Reading, Supporting Children with Difficulties in Reading and Writing from London University and The Master 140 Hour TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Course. Marilyn has taken modern research, her wealth of training and experience and Marilyn has used her program to successfully tutor private students. Now, the benefit of Marilyn's knowledge is available online for you too.